Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from January, 2013

Email Alerts are not received...

In one of application, Email alerts are sent using SQL sp_send_dbmail stored procedure. Email alerts were working properly, but suddenly noticed email alerts are not received.

To troubleshoot the issue, first I checked the msdb.dbo.sysmail_event_log table using the below query.

SELECT log_id, event_type, log_date, description, process_id, mailitem_id, account_id, last_mod_date, last_mod_user
FROM
msdb.dbo.sysmail_event_log 
ORDER BY
log_date DESC

If there is any error, you should see records with the event_type value as error.
In my case there are records with event_type value as error, and the description value for those records is same as below

The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 3 (2018-02-01T10:41:27). Exception Message: Cannot send mails to mail server. (The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: Authentication required).  )

As per the error descript…

Ordering Sub Reports dynamically in SSRS by using parameter values...

There are some requirements that the order of the tables or sub reports needs to be changed according to the provided parameter values. I tried to find a way and searched the internet. But the found solution was add sub reports multiple times and show or hide those by considering the parameter value.
But this is not a good way because if there are 10 reports (tables) to be sorted, then we have to add all those 10 reports for each position and it will load 100 reports due to that.

I was able to get done this in a different way and it will provide better performance than this.
What I did was I kept all those tables in a single report instead of separate sub reports and show or hide those table by considering the passed parameter value. In that add a parameter as "Report" to keep the which table is need to be showed. This report is used as the sub report and in the main report what I did was create a data set considering the provided ordering parameter values.
Let say we have …